Amy Germain lives in a small town in the Adirondack Mountains, near a lake, an hour from everything. A night owl but wants to be an early bird. She starts the day with black coffee and usually ends it with an IPA or glass of wine. She is drawn toward shadow portraits, silhouettes, ice patterns and moments of the everyday. Capturing moments is what brings her joy. Amy is reinventing herself from a teacher to a business owner with creative pursuits. She is the creator of Everyday Adirondack, a self-published print publication launching in 2015. You can find her on Flickr, Instagram, Facebook and soon at everydayadirondack.com where she practices the art of noticing.
- Anything Kinfolk
- Dinners on the screen porch
- My 18 month old’s loon imitation (he puts his hand to his mouth and screams when he hears a loon)
- Fresh blueberries outside our door. I read about an architect that places blueberry bushes near the entrance to all his designs. We planted blueberry bushes near our front steps and grab a handful as we walk in the door.
- Cooler nights under blankets
- 1960’s Coleman Cooler that belonged to my parents
- Leaves beginning to turn color
- Surrounding myself with who I want to be
on the nightstand:
Right now I don’t have a nightstand. My son’s crib is next to our bed with the thought that someday he may sleep there.
what’s one item in your summer wardrobe you can’t go without?
Madewell Transport Tote (it will be my fall, winter and spring staple too)
what is your summer theme song this year?
“Wake Me Up” by Avicii because “all this time I was finding myself and I didn’t know I was lost….”.
what are three constants in your day?
- Black coffee
- Deep breaths
Telling my 18 month old he can’t climb on the table or put small objects in his mouth
what is your idea of a perfect summer meal?
Anything from our CSA share, eaten on our screen porch
tell us about the inspiration behind these photos.
I decided I needed more creativity in my life and my camera became my art of noticing. I discovered that I am drawn to light and shadows. In particular, I am drawn to shadow portraits and silhouettes. This collection of pictures includes shadow portraits using my favorite pocket of light in our bedroom where I love watching the light change through the seasons.